Butter chicken is one of the great comfort meals. Luckily, it’s also pretty simple to make.
Please don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients here. You’re likely to have almost all of them in the pantry already, and most of them just get thrown in a pan together to cook.
This recipe makes a big lot of butter chicken, but it’s the kind of thing that will get even better over the next few days and make your colleagues envy your brought-from-home lunch – that is, if you can stop everyone in your family from going back for seconds.
If you like Last Minute Dinner Sorted, use the link below to sign up for the Dinner Sorted newsletter, for bonus recipes and a handy shopping list delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning.
ULTIMATE BUTTER CHICKEN
By My Food Bag
Ready in: 35 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
2 cups basmati rice
3 cups water
Butter chicken spice mix
Mix 1 tablespoon turmeric, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, small pinch of chilli powder
600g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon butter chicken spice mix
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
1 ½ teaspoons finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 ½ tablespoons butter
½ brown onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cream
½ cup milk
½ cup tomato paste
¼ teaspoon vinegar (eg, white wine, red wine, cider)
1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce (preferably mild)
head broccoli, cut into small florets
2 carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthways, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon roughly chopped coriander (optional)
Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil.
1. Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking. When rice has finished steaming, fluff up grains with a fork.
2. While rice is cooking, pat chicken dry with paper towels, dice 2cm and place in a bowl with butter chicken spice mix, chilli flakes (if using), ginger and salt and mix to combine. Season with pepper.
3. Heat butter in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook onion for 4-5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown and nearly cooked through.
4. Add cream, milk, tomato paste, vinegar and sweet chilli sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
5. While butter chicken sauce is cooking, add broccoli and carrots to pot of boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Drain well and toss with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon rice onto plates and top with butter chicken, and chopped coriander. Serve steamed veges on the side.
Tip: if you find your sauce thickens too much, stir through a little water.
More last minute dinners
One pot pasta. Full recipe here
30 minute chilli beans. Full recipe here
Pumpkin and chorizo pasta. Full recipe here